This year I’m going to give the ol’ hubs something I KNOW he will use! He’s a guy who likes his beer. Whenever we have people over we do a little beer tasting and love discovering new beers.
So this year, my brilliant father’s day gift idea was to make him some custom diy etched beer glasses to let him know how much we love him. Let’s face it, he isn’t going to sport a “We heart Dad” t-shirt, but he will drink out of custom beer glasses.
But that’s not all, today I’ve joined forces with some other very creative ladies to bring you 4 more handmade father’s day gift ideas.
So be sure to visit each link at the bottom of this post and show my bloggy friends some love!
I really can’t believe how easy etching is. The most difficult part is getting your letters on straight and making sure that they are on really well so that the etching cream doesn’t slip underneath. This project took me about 30 minutes.
For this project you will need:
- Beer glasses. I found some nice Pilsner Glasses on Amazon.
- Etching Cream: Armour Etch (etching cream.) I found it at Michael’s. You can get it in the store, but I bought it online. Yes! You can now shop Michael’s online! Be sure to have your 40% off coupon!
- Letter Stickers
- A plastic spoon or knife.
- Plastic gloves or a big plastic baggie. You DO NOT want to let the etching cream touch your skin or anything else for that matter. It is very acidic and dangerous so this is not one to try with the kiddos!
- Painter’s tape
The first thing you will want to do is mark a straight line with your painter’s tape. Then add your sticker letters along that line so that your words are straight. Make sure your letters are on really well so that the armor etch doesn’t leak underneath them. Once you have your letters on, remove your painter’s tape and now make a box around your letters with painter’s tape. This will be the outline of where the etching will show up.
Apply the armor etch with a plastic spoon and leave it on for 7 minutes. Be careful that it doesn’t drip and end up on the part of the glass that you don’t want etched.
At about 3 minutes and 5 minutes, swirl the etching cream around with your spoon again to be sure there aren’t any air bubbles.
When the 7 minutes is up, rinse under warm water and rub the cream off using a gloved (or in my case baggied) hand. You do not want to touch this stuff with your bare skin!!!
The warm water will most likely make the stickers and tape come off on their own or really easy to peel off.
And that is all! Now you just need to pick up a fun beer to go with it and dad is all set! Who knew personalized beer glasses were so easy right?
Now it’s time to check out some more great Father’s Day Gift Ideas! Use the links below the photo to hop from one blog to the next!
1) DIY Etched Beer Glasses by Tiny Sidekick (you are here now)
2) Kid-Crafted Storybook for Dad by Persia Lou
3) Superhero Sleep Masks by Cutesy Crafts
4) Child Drawn Shirt Designs by Homemade Ginger
5) Father’s Day Playing Cards Card by Cook and Craft Me Crazy